Monday, March 21

Getting Back into the Swing of Things

I actually feel like my financial life is coming together.  After such a long time of financial strain and 6 months of extreme penny pinching, it is finally making a difference.

We paid off our car last week!  I wrote a big FAT check of over $4000 and sent it away.  I am so happy and excited that one more burden is off our backs.  It opens up a whole new light in our budget. 

Monday morning I woke up to a new week.  The clouds were dark and the air was cold.  But there was a new feeling in the air.  The feeling of hope just knowing that we had made such a huge financial step.  My boys were crazy (like always) but it didn't bother me as much as it had just a day or two before.

We sat down today and did our usual routine.  The boys played and ate breakfast.  I slept in (because Kaysen was sleeping beside me) and he was so warm I didn't want to get up.  As the morning came to a close, I grabbed some markers for the boys to play with and they drew some pictures.
Then, Caleb spent the rest of the morning sorting out the colors, calling them by name (well, some of them anyway) and quietly drawing on the paper I had set up for him in front of the door.
It was quiet, peaceful...a certain relaxation to the air.  And although I'm not sure the boys recognized a difference (because yes, there are plenty of times that they play quietly) I noticed a difference.  I think it was the sound of peace.  The pure fact that things financially are starting to fit together.  My head was calm and steady.








I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is absolutely amazing how much something so small can change your outlook on life.  Spring is around the corner, we are so ready to sell our house, and I have one less HUGE monthly payment that I never have to make again.  It just makes me feel so good knowing that we are headed in the right direction.

We have not reached our goal yet.  My goal is to be 100% debt free by this time next year.  I know we can do it.  We are so close.  This is such a huge step...certainly not the first, and definitely not the last.  We are making progress, and I'm so proud!

No comments: