Tuesday, March 8

Pantry Challenge Week #1

As a couponer, I get many things for free or well under retail prices. My pantry is stocked and my weekly grocery budget is low.
Is there a way to make my budget even lower? Yes! Stop grocery shopping all together and see how long I can make good, basic meals using just the food in my pantry.


Obviously, I will have to still buy the basics, but the goal is to make my list as minimal as possible.




Week #1

I just started the challenge a few days ago, but yet, here I am reporting to you already with a shopping trip.  Today, I decided to use of the rest of the money in my grocery envelope to stock myself up on some fresh fruits and more milk for my youngest. 

My husband gets paid on Friday.  As some of you know, we are doing the cash envelope system.  When he gets paid, the envelopes get filled up again.  My goal as I went out on my shopping trip tonight was to spend up the money and buy what we needed, so when he gets paid and the envelope gets filled, I don't have to touch that money for another week.  That's the goal anyway.  I'm sure I'll have to buy some milk before a week and a half goes by...and I'm sure my husband will be asking me for more yogurt.  But as for tonight's trip, I think I did pretty good.  Especially since I have not been grocery shopping for about a week (other than to pick up milk).

Total spent tonight: $13.23


Items bought:

2lbs Bananas
1 lb Strawberries
Eggs
Whole Milk
(3) 100% whole wheat bread
2 yogurts
2 lunch meats

2 boxes Mini Wheat cereal

No comments: